.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:

Addicted to the printed word. Cinematic cretin. Information junkie.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Hurrying will get you nowhere

Every once in a while I encounter someone in so much of a rush that I almost want to stop him or her and ask just what it is that is so amazingly important and urgent that the rest of the world is just in the way.

Yesterday evening I decided that I needed a desk type calendar to keep track of things at work because my grasp of time tends to be somewhat shaky. I wanted one that had the whole month on a single page as well as breaking down the year week by week. The only thing that really fit the bill was the Far Side calendar. Not quite what I had in mind, but it will do. I also bought a cute little organizer/planner featuring a winsome character known as French Kitty. She's a little cuter than my usual taste, but this little organizer was blue rather than pink and only about four dollars, so I indulged. I thought about using it to smack the gentleman behind me in line.

Actually he was a couple of people behind me in line. It being six o'clock on a Monday evening, the local bookstore wasn't exactly overstaffed. The two women working the registers weren't particularly swift and were occasionally encumbered by needy and/or equally non swift customers. As a result, other customers has to the spend five minutes or so waiting in line. Hardly an inordinate amount of time in the grand scheme of things.

The impatient gentleman kept craning his neck around the front of the line to check on the progress of the cashiers and asking if they could get more people to help. Finally, before he
made a complete idiot of himself, I turned around and said, "If you are really in that much of a hurry, they can ring you up in the music department." Thankfully for the rest of us, he took my advice. And I am pretty sure that he was the only one in line who felt the need to do so. The rest of us were content to wait a few extra minutes. Zoiks. Some people.

Maybe he truly had somewhere pressing and urgent to be. Maybe someone's life depended on whatever he was buying, but I have to say, I have my doubts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home